Follow

Underpass dug in weekend work blitz at new station site

Written by

​Moorabbin Kingston Leader, 7 November 2016

MAJOR works on the long awaited new Southland station got underway on the weekend with crews building the underpass to connect the platforms.

A weekend blitz to get trenching done began late Friday night and construction teams worked through the night and into Saturday.

The new $21-million station is now in sight — more than five years after it was first promised. It will back onto 10 homes on Tulip Grove, Cheltenham sparking loss of privacy fears among some homeowners.

Last year the State Government said it would service up to 4,400 passengers per day and become the "fourth busiest station on the Frankston line." It is expected to open in late 2017.

Labor Member for Bentleigh Nick Staikos said the fact that work had now ramped up at the sight showed the government was "getting on with it."

"We're getting on with it — giving visitors direct access to the shopping centre, and locals direct access to their homes and businesses," Mr Staikos said.

"We're buying new trains, removing dangerous level crossings and building new stations to get people home safer and sooner."

Station designs released in February showed ramp and stair access to both platforms, an automated toilet and pedestrian underpass.

The station has been dubbed a "destination station" and therefore PTV won’t provide commuter parking at the site.

This has concerned Kingston and Bayside councils who fear commuters will try to use surrounding streets to park and travel to the city.

^ Bentleigh MP Nick Staikos (right) has a look over the site with Coleman Rail Construction Manager Josh Thompson